Blog of Laughter and Forgetting (Few Hundred Words of Garbage)

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Tu To Kali Kali Re (You Are The Black One!)

The title of this posting comes from the title of a Hindi song, sung by Antara Choudhury for the movie, Minoo. When this song was recorded, Antara was perhaps a 6-year old girl. She also sang another song, "Teri Galiyon Mein Hum Aaye", with the legendary Manna Dey for this movie. I never watched the movie, but what I learned from the reviews I read is that a small girl (perhaps Antara herself) carries a black baby goat in her arms, and sings this "Kali Kali" song.

"Kali Kali" used to be played all the time during the late 1970's and early 1980's (perhaps about 1979-1981) by the All India Radio. Almost 25 year later, when I try to locate this song in the internet, I fail to do so, except for one website, based in the U.K.

But that's not the issue here. What made me write this posting, and also the title of the post, in the picture here. It is the picture of an onviously shaken and confused baby bear. Yes, a baby bear! It stands by a large body of water, which is fllod water. This baby was washed away by fllod and he reached this village, 20 kms away from my town back home., where villages rescued him and offered shelter. He was given some food (mostly nuts, as I can see) on a plantain leaf, which is being robbed by a goat.

[My association with goats date back to childhood. I grew up in a small town in an era, devoid of TV, Internet and almost all other forms of entertainment, except for books and the Radio. But when I look back, I also see a bunch of loyal friends who surrounded me, and that bunch consisted of goats/kids, cat, ducks/ducklings, pigeons and cows/calves. Each of them had its own name, sometimes too human that it left some visitors confused. (Baba, in the comments below, was a white male goat, who stopped eating anything that a self-respecting goat would eat, and switched to boiled tea leaves, cigarette butts, rasgullas, rice, vegetable and almost anything else that we ate. He, by eating rice mixed with meat curry, debunked for us the myth that goats don't eat anything that smells of meat). I'm sure, Baba stopped thinking himself of as a goat, but rather a human being with equal human rights, while retaining all his goat rights intact! ... And in retrosepct, I feel that my childhood was not that bad after all!]

It makes me sad that this poor baby bear is so lost and confused! But at the same time, what warms the heart is to know that there are still people, themselves in the midst of a flood, to give shelter to a bear cub!

And as usual, there are bad guys, who rob poor ones! This goat is just doing that. But thankfully, our bear does not mind it so much. Maybe for him, the companionship of the goat matters more than the nuts being robbed. (Actually the caption of the picture in the newspaper began with "In search of a company?"
___________________________________________________________
*Note: The above picture was published in a Regional Daily newspaper named, Janasadharan, in my mother tounge.
Comments Received: Usha wrote: "... I saw this cute picture in your blog - may be our pal baba with you? I wanted to add a comment but your blog does not allow me to comment . why?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home