Blog of Laughter and Forgetting (Few Hundred Words of Garbage)

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Bringing Out The Dead! (A Mail from S. W.)

I logged on to my Gmail account today to check if the documents I forwarded to myself arrived safe. Those are important documents: the final draft of a paper. But I needed space in my email account and so was forced to delete them. I just wanted to make sure that they were there in Gmail and Yahoo accounts.

And then I saw a mail from S. W. I saw him mentioning a password. There was no mention of my name, and so I thought it was a Spam mail. But then I saw another mail below which states the following:

"Our sincerest apologies for the delay in replying to your request.I have set the password of your account to a random string, andI have already sent it to you in a separate message. Please log in and change the password to one of your own choosing."

S.W., an alumnus of MIT, is one of the guys who maintain the system.

Nothing could have made me happier. It was the first email account I ever had in my life (No! Actually second, but I discarded the first one when I opened this in the same domain), it was the first free email service I ever used, and this is the website that gave me many good friends Including Lulu. This is an website with which I have been associated for almost 10 years now, ever since my first email account in 1996.

But then I did not log onto it since Sept, 30, 2005 and then failed to recollect my password in Jan., 2006. Usually, I can remember such things, and if forgotten, always retrieve it by trial and error. In 2002, I forgot the password completely, and then the account was removed; but I was lucky enough to be able to open another account with the same login. But not this time!

Then I wrote a mail on 26th Jan to the staff, and waited for a reply. And then when no reply came, I finally gave up!

And then, after 2 months and 29 days, I see the mail from S.W., sent on 22nd April.

I am back to the roots!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home