Blog of Laughter and Forgetting (Few Hundred Words of Garbage)

Thursday, February 24, 2005

A Tale of Hope in 3 Parts!

The first time I had heard the name Krzysztof Kieslowski was sometime in the early 90's. However, I came to know more about him only after his death in 1996.If I'm not mistaken, I think I read two articles about him by his earstwhile cinematographer: one an obituary, and another as to how the stubbornness of European moviemakers make their movies never get an international market, because they don't want to make any changes, as opposed to movies by people like Spielberg, who treat their movies as consumer product, and thus make changes following suggestions/criticisms of viewers during preview shows.

I never got a chance to watch any of Kieslowski's movies, though I read a bit about him now and then during the last few years. Recently, however, I could lay my hands on his colour trilogy: "Trois couleurs: Rouge" (Three Colours: Red), "Trois couleurs: Blanc" (Three Colors: White), and "Trois couleurs: Bleu" (Three Colours: Blue).

What I could conclude after viewing this series is: Hope.

Most serious movies (at least those made in India) are somehow gloomy and dark, and people often tend to associate pessimism with such movies. In constrast, the central theme of these movies is hope and optimism. They are not heavy with intellectual discourse, nor do they talk of lofty ideals; what they do instead is simply profile hope in moments of despair and grief through three simple stories.

I loved them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home