Blog of Laughter and Forgetting (Few Hundred Words of Garbage)

Monday, June 06, 2005

The Negro Spoke of Rivers (and then he Knocked on Heaven's Door)


The first person I saw singing was this black gentleman, who was singing a song about river. I don't know why, but what his reminded me was the poem entitled "The Negro Speaks of Rivers" by Langston Hughes, one of my favorite poets. Hughes' "Dreams" is a poem, which would perhaps make even a very depressed man hopeful of life; at least, it had done to me.

Dreams

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die;
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go;
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.


Now, as I looked at the gentlemen performing, I thought more and more of Hughes, though our gentleman had no physical or facial similarity with Hughes whatsoever.

He next sang Harold Melvin's "If you don't know me by now" with a white woman, who sang as well as played on the guitar.

And then, he sang Bob Dylan's "Knockin on heaven's door."

He made my day (or was it night?)!

Note: The pic shows the spot where the guys do their Jamming. The people in the picture are unknown tourists.
____________________________________________________________
http://www.poemhunter.com/p/m/poem.asp?poet=6691&poem=31112
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langston_Hughes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home