Blog of Laughter and Forgetting (Few Hundred Words of Garbage)

Monday, June 06, 2005

Where Giants Once Trolled: Pilgrim's Diary


I arrived at Washingston Square Park, New York, quite by accident. My friend had to meet a friend, who works at the New York University, and so we went to meet him there. And when we were having dinner, I called my colleague back where I work. And it was he who suggested me to go see Washington Square, which was next to NYU. (Of course, he never told me its significance, and so I had no idea what that spot means!).

And so I dragged my friend and went to Washington Square that night.

And what hooked me up to the place was a group of guys jamming. Never before did I witness such a diverse group of people doing something together just for fun. There were students of NYU, professional singers coming to jam during the weekend nights, and tourists from such diverse places as Boston and San Fransisco.

I got stuck there, and told my friend that I would like to stay back and return to the hotel later. and I followed the routine of going there during the whole week I was in New york.

Only after my return, and some Google, did I learn that this was the spot where giants such as Bob Dylan started their musical career once they arrived in New York.

Epilogue: And yes, in a way, it maintained its reputation of being a drug-dealing hotspot! On the last day,when I went there to take some snaps of the area, a guy approached me to sell some dope, or, "Care to share a nice, cool joint with me?" as he put it.

Interestingly, no such thing happened during all the previous nights when I had been there.
______________________________________________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Square_Park

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home