Blog of Laughter and Forgetting (Few Hundred Words of Garbage)

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Straight Talk

In a world such as that of Glamour, where everyone is obsessed with physical beauty and appearanace, it is indeed impressive to read about someone who knows what his or her job is, and that one is ready to try one's best to achieve that. And so the following news item in CNN about CharlizeTheron impressed me much. To quote CNN:

"Possessor of one of the loveliest faces on the planet, Charlize Theron still finds herself explaining to people that sometimes it's part of her job to hide her looks.

The attention critics and audiences paid to her physical transformation in 2003's "Monster" grew tiresome for Theron, who had gained 30 pounds and became almost unrecognizable behind splotchy makeup and dark contact lenses to play serial killer Aileen Wuornos.

Theron faced endless questions about how and why she concealed her cover-girl beauty."

I have never watched a single film of her with knowledge; nor do I know much about her. But it's not everyday that ones reads such a news item, and that's what sounded interesting to me.

It's not that she is the first person to have done this. Actually, many (for example, Robert de Niro) have done this before: undergoing significant physical transformation to look the characters they were playing. Butunlike her, none of them possessed, suposedly the most beautiful face.

And what does she have to say about it? According to CNN, what she said to the Associated Press is the following: "The celebrity status in Hollywood has gotten really out of control." and "Like one of those snow-globe things, it's this fragile little ball of perfection, and I think people have forgotten what actors do. After a while, I was like, 'Well, what did you want me to do? Did you want me to play this woman and not look like her?' "

She further added: "People said, 'Oh, you're doing another ugly movie,' " Theron said. "I said, 'No, I'm doing another film about real people, and it's not about ugly vs. anything.' It's about searching for that constant truth, and I don't think I'll be able to sleep at night if I know I didn't search for that truth and implement it. I don't know how else to do it as an actor."

Interesting, right? So much sense, that is! And that it is coming from someone, who had to witness her mother shoot her father to death in self-defense, when she was only 15 years old!

The picture here is a still from her movie, "North Country", which stars Theron as a mine worker who files a sexual-harassment lawsuit against co-workers.
________________________________________________________________
Source:
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/18/film.charlize.theron.ap/index.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home