Blog of Laughter and Forgetting (Few Hundred Words of Garbage)

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Lord of the Werewolves (Zevon and I)

No, Warren Zevon was not my friend; nor did I know him in any capacity. Not at least until I read about his death in CNN in a distant afternoon in Sept., 2003.

What then makes me connect myself with him? Just a small thing: a small wish for each of us. But while he fulfilled his wish, I could not mine!

I quote from Wikipedia here:

"On October 30, 2002, Zevon was featured on the Late Show with David Letterman as the only guest for the entire hour. Zevon performed several songs and spoke at length about his illness. Zevon was a frequent guest and occasional substitute bandleader on Letterman's television shows since Late Night first aired in 1982. It was this show where Zevon offered his insight on facing death: that one should enjoy "every sandwich."

Zevon had previously stated that his illness was expected to be terminal within months after the diagnosis in the Fall of 2002; however he lived to see the birth of twin grandsons in June of 2003 and the release of The Wind on August 28, 2003. When his diagnosis became public, he told the media that he just hoped to live long enough to see the next James Bond movie, a goal he also accomplished. Appropriately, the film was called Die Another Day."

Now, I am not a big fan of movies such as "Lords of the Rings". No, I'm not! But I accompained my then colleague SdV for the LOTR I, and then the next year for the part II of it. By Dec-2003, I would be moving out, and we hoped that we would be able to watch LOTR III together. However, it would so happen that LOTR III would not be released until 14th Dec., 2003, and so we won't be able to watch all the thtree parts of LOTR together.

And that's what connects me to Zevon, in a negative and indirect way!
__________________________________________________________________
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Zevon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home