Blog of Laughter and Forgetting (Few Hundred Words of Garbage)

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Mi Vida Loca: Gormem, Duymam, Soylemem: Tale of Three Monkeys

I never knew what Mi Vida Loca mean, nor did I ever heard of this phrase until I picked up the DVD Movie of the same title at the Los Angeles Public Library.

Mi Vida Loca (My Crazy Life) the movie is based on the effect of Gang Life on teenagers living in Echo Park, not very far from where I live. Now for anyone living in LA, familiarity with some of other aspects of Gang Life is inevitable, be it the graffitti, occasional news of shooting, or mugging, or the shoes hanging from Telephone wires. I liked the movie, because it's pretty much realistic in its depiction of the effect of Gang violence on teenagers.

However, my aim is not a review of the movie, but something I noticed in it. That is, a tattoo of three dots in a triangle, near the left eye of one of the main female characters. The girl was very beautiful, and the tattoos obviously attracted my attention. And what followed was a casual Google search.

And what I found was not what I expected.

Apparently, this triangular tattoo, which is very popular among Hispanic teenagers and usually found on the skin between the thumb and forefinger, stands for "mi vida loca" ("my crazy life". I also learnt that this tatooo has no direct connection to gangs. This tattoo has also been taken up by Vietnamese teenagers,with the interpretation of "toi khong can gi ca" ("I don't need anything").

But Wikipedia also told me the following: "The three dots in a triangle are also used widely in the southeast region of Turkey as a symbol of being one of the tribesman. The three dot symbol is known as "Gormem, Duymam, Soylemem" meaning that "I hear nothing, I see nothing and I tell nothing". Bearing this mark is an oath to the person's own society, and requires great responsibility such as being willing to sacrifice himself in favor of the society."

This reminded me of the three famous monkeys of Mahatma Gandhi. These monkeys sit tigether, one coverying his eyes with his palms, another his ears, and the third his mouth. Their gestures signify: "See no Evil", "Hear no Evil" and "Speak no Evil" respectively.

But the story does not end there. Apparently, the monkeys come from Japanese tradition.

"The trio of monkeys is depicted with one having its hands over its ears, another having its hands over its mouth, and the third having its hands over its eyes. Known as the Three Monkeys, they are a tradition in Japanese culture.
"Beginning in the late Muromchi period (1333-1568), it became customary to carve these figures on koshinto, stone pillars used during the observance of Koshin. According to the Kiyu Shoran, an early 19th century reference work, the Three Monkeys may also be related to the Sanno belief complex, wherein monkeys play the role of divine messangers. The Three Monkeys represent the Santai (Three Truths) advocated the Tendai Sect of Buddhims. The Tendai founder, Saicho is said to have carved a representation of this ideal in the form of monkeys." (Japan. p. 1562-63)
A famous carving of the Three Monkeys is on the sacred stable in the Toshogu Shrine in Nikko, Japan. Carvings of monkeys were believed to prevent diseases in horses."

I Think, I would rather stop my research here!
____________________________________________________________
Sources:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0107566/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Dots_Tattoo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo
http://www.santacruzpl.org/readyref/files/m-p/noevil.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_wise_monkeys

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home