Blog of Laughter and Forgetting (Few Hundred Words of Garbage)

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Stephen (How)King: The Man who Eluded the Nobel Prize!

Yeah, I'm going to talk about the man, whom the Nobel Prize has missed. And that, in spite of his making seminal contribution to two independent and important fields/subjects, namely: Physics and Literature. The man is none other than Stephen King, who is also known (mainly to the physicists) as Stephen Hawking!

Now I bet, this statement of mine would make many of you think that I've gone all insane. But that is not the case. I made this statement ofter a lot of research and analysis, and my conclusion is based on evidence, not Tarrot Card Reading. And in the next few pages, I will try to establish my line of argument.

Let's just take the example of the movie, The Shawshank Redemption, based on a novel by Stephen King, whose central character, played by Tim Robbins, escapes an extremely brutal and high security prison. You think I'm going to talk pulp fiction, right? The main theme of the Shwashank Redemption is the indominable human will and its tirumph over injustice.

Do I mean to say that that proves that King is Hawking? No sir, no! But what I want to say is the folliwing:

Recently, physicist Stephen Hawking has acccepted the fact that contrary to his earlier theory/belief that no energy quanta could escape black holes, he is now more and more convinced that actually some quanta of energy always escapes the black hole. This just proves the indominable will of the quanta, or the vitory of natue's spirit, similar to what Shawshank Redemption told us years ago.

But that's not all. If we look back, we can also mention the movie, The Shining, based again on a Stephen King novel, where a non-suspecting guy becomes the caretaker of a hotel, never to leave the place alive. Does this theme not have a paraller with the all-absorbing black-holes, the foremost formulation of Stephen Hawking?

I rest my case!

Note: The following is just my theory as to the origin of the name Hawking; at the moment, I don't have enough evidence to claim this to be the truth:

Perhaps Stephen King got the "Haw" in his name from the way he used to work in both Physics and Literature, and fool the whole world into believing that they were two different persons. It could be that someone close to him expressed his surprise to find the fact, by asking "How" could Stephen King do it, which turned into a joke "How-King", and later got corrupted to Howking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home